Monday 25 March 2013

Introduction to project




My first meeting with the classical world
Colosseum, Rome - September 2011

Through writing this blog, which is a completely new form assessment for me, I have come to realise that the issues I am facing now are the same as the issues I faced when I first started this course, in 2010. Studying classics on a deeper level than I had previously done posed greater challenges than I had faced in school. I needed to think in different ways and the work was much more reflective and inquisitive than what I had previously done. Having written a number of essays through my three years at university, I feel that I have found my ‘scholarly’ or ‘academic’ voice, at least in that form of assessment. However, writing a blog poses a different challenge where I must find the balance between a scholarly and ‘informal’ tone.

Studying Ancient Greek Religion poses issues that are often faced when studying religions and other cultures. First we must face the issue that there is a major cultural difference that cannot be reconciled. There is a need to separate ‘us’ and ‘them’ and find neutral ground to study from. I have recently become more aware that I wear what could be called Christian-secular lenses when I study. I was raised in a secular society but I was still taught religious values and had my confirmation at 15 years old. I know now that I need to be more self-aware when studying other cultures and religions and remember that they held different values in their beliefs and in the practice of those beliefs. Bruit Zaidman and SchmittPantel states that ‘the function of religion cannot be the same in a society such as ours, in which communal life is very largely secularized, and in one where religion was thoroughly intertwined with all areas of public and social interaction.’ As scholars we must therefore take a step back and try to see Ancient Greek Religion not through our own eyes, but through the eyes of the Greeks. I will discuss this further in later blog posts. It does not make it easier either that the Greeks had no word for religion. The closest we come is Thriskeia, which the website Perseus roughly translates to religious worship, ritual and cult. However it could also be argued that our term religion is still not properly defined and that everyone has their own personal opinion as to what the term ‘religion’ stands for. (For more see Harrison,V. S.)



Through this project I will try to mainly use the goddess Artemis to focus on the questions posed in our lectures and ideas this course has led me to want to discuss further. Throughout my years at University I have found that my interest in Greek mythology has narrowed down to an even bigger interest in Greek goddesses, particularity those I have felt have either been misrepresented in scholarship or goddesses that have not received much attention. I first became interested in Artemis when I was working on an essay on Hera, at the time I was focusing on rituals and festivals and came over a link about the anger of Artemis. I was fascinated by how strict the rules for Artemis’s followers were, especially the role the young attendants played and the significance of them being parthenoi - marriageable virgins who have attained physical and sexual maternity.  Once I started doing more research on Artemis I also found myself being very interested in the dual aspect of her and how she represented a positive occurrence in Greek life such as infant survival but she also represented the curse of death in childbirth and stillborn infants. I hope that this blog will let me research this further and give me much more information on Artemis and the study of Ancient Greek Religion.


Bibliography:


-        Bruit Zaidman, L. and Schmitt Pantel, P., (1992) Religion in the Ancient Greek City. Translated by Paul Cartledge. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. p .3

-        Harrison, V.S. (2006) ‘The pragmatics of defining religionin a multicultural world’. International Journal for - Philosophy of Religion Vol. 59, No. 3 pp. 133-152.

-         Perseus. (2013) Greek Word Study Tool. Available at:
               http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph?l=qrhskeia&la=greek Accessed on: 25/03-13

-        Theoi. Artemis. Available at: http://www.theoi.com/Olympios/Artemis.html Accessed on: 25/03-13

-       Theoi. Summary Artemis. Available at: http://www.theoi.com/Summary/Artemis.html
     Accessed on: 25/03-13

No comments:

Post a Comment